Research Output per year
Jean Palmer joined the University in January 2013 and is a Senior Lecturer on the BA Early Primary Course and the PGCE Primary Course where she is the Partnership lead working closely with schools and mentors. She is a tutor for English.
Jean has worked in Kirklees schools since 1996. She has over 30 years of experience working with teachers and young people. She has worked in primary schools as a teacher, subject leader, Advanced Skills Teacher (English), governor and LA officer. She has taught across the Primary phases and acted as senior mentor for GTP/BA students. Jean also spent 15 years working as a professional director/writer for Theatre-in Education in mainstream and special schools.
Jean specialises in the teaching of Literacy - covering reading, writing and oral language. As the lead consultant in Kirklees for the ‘Every Child a Reader’ programme she focused on narrowing the gap for children with literacy difficulties which became the subject of her MA.
Research Expertise and Interests
- The relationship between oral language development and successful reading and writing
- Collaborated on a text for trainee teachers on creative approaches to the teaching of English
- Guide to mentoring
- Mentor development sessions for partnership schools
- Research into consistency of assessment judgements in ITT
- The transition from trainee to qualified teacher
- Research into the early ‘exit’ of teachers during the first five years of their careers
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter