‘Every Patient, Every Day’ – a daily ward round tool to improve patient safety and experience

Judith Johnston, John Stephenson, Anu Rajgopal, Neeraj Bhasin

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Introduction
Many essential interventions are required to ensure in-patients receive safe and effective care with a good experience. Additionally, healthcare organisations are assessed on numerous performance indicators, including the aforementioned interventions, where underperformance can lead to lower publicly reported ratings, loss of income and reputational damage. Most importantly, underperformance can lead to compromised patient experience and outcomes. We created a prompt card as a service improvement tool to be used on the daily ward rounds at the bedside of every patient, entitled ‘Every Patient, Every Day’ to improve documentation, antibiotic prescribing, venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis, coding, and patient communication.

Method
Pre-implementation data around these interventions and patient experience factors were collected by shadowing ward rounds. The ‘Every Patient, Every Day’ tool was then implemented. The ward rounds were shadowed by the same individual to collect post-implementation data. Effect of implementation was assessed via Poisson regression models conducted on the documentation, antibiotics and VTE measures, and logistic regression models conducted on the communication and coding measures.


Results
The corresponding rate ratios for the effect of the implementation of the service improvement tool were found to be 1.53 (95% CI 1.38 to 1.69) for improved documentation. Antibiotics prescribing improved by 1.44 (95% CI 1.06 to 1.94). VTE prescribing and documentation improved by a rate ratio 1.25 (95% 1.04 to 1.50). For communication, the effect of the implementation was significant at the 5% significance level (p<0.001), with an odds ratio of 18.6 (95% CI 8.41 to 41.09). Coding effect was non-significant at the 5% significance level (p=0.113) but was substantive. Implementation of the tool resulted in substantive improvements in all outcomes and shows corrected significance with the documentation and communication outcomes.

Conclusion
The ‘Every Patient, Every Day’ ward round prompt card is an extraordinarily simple tool shown to increase compliance with a number of safety and quality indicators to improve an organisation’s performance, and hopefully be a facet contributing to enhanced patient experience and outcomes.
Original languageEnglish
JournalBMJ Open Quality
Publication statusAccepted/In press - 26 Jul 2022

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of '‘Every Patient, Every Day’ – a daily ward round tool to improve patient safety and experience'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this