Heating 4-methoxy-1-naphthol with a 1,1-diarylprop-2-yn-1-ol gave the 2,2-diaryl-6-methoxy-2H-naphtho[1,2-b]pyran together with the novel merocyanine, (E)-2-[3′,3′-bis(aryl)allylidene]-4-methoxynaphthalen-1(2H)-one. Brief UV-irradiation of the pyran favoured the formation of the (Z)-merocyanine with longer irradiation and/or acidic conditions favouring the (E)-isomer.
|Number of pages||4|
|Early online date||5 Jun 2014|
|Publication status||Published - 25 Jul 2014|
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'The first structural and spectroscopic characterisation of a ring-opened form of a 2H-naphtho[1,2-b]pyran: a novel photomerocyanine'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- Department of Chemical Sciences - Professor
- School of Applied Sciences
- Chemical Synthesis and Design Centre - Director
- Centre for Functional Materials - Associate Member
- Technical Textiles Research Centre - Associate Member